Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Courtesy of Cocina Cubana/Sonia Martinez/ Pascual Perez. Escabeche is actually pickled fish. It differs from ceviche in that escabeche is cooked & ceviche is raw fish cooked in the lime juices. Really very good after 1 or 2 days - the fish will keep for 7 days.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs swordfish or 3 1⁄2 lbs fresh tuna, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 large green peppers, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup pimento stuffed olive, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup capers
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar, to cover above ingredients
- Dredge the fish slices through flour.
- Fry them at medium-high heat.
- Place them on layers of paper towels to drain.
- Saute sliced onions & peppers in the same oil as the fish (strain the oil first, if necessary).
- Place the fish, sauteed onions, peppers, olives, capers, salt, pepper and paprika in a glass or ceramic bowl only. DO NOT USE STAINLESS STEEL!
- Cover the ingredients with equal parts olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Keeps for 7 days or more.