Recipe by Annacia
The finder of the baked in token is said to gain good fortune in the coming year. The Zaar puter won't accept "small china token" as an ingredient but be sure to bake one in. My gramma used a new decorated thimble. My grandmother was the one who made this cake and I copied it from an old hand written card. There was no flour or liquid mentioned in the ingredients list but flour was listed in the directions. I have added the 2 cups of flour (See update below) as it seems about right to me but add it slowly and stop when you think it's think it's right or add more if needed. If it's very thick you might want to add enough milk to make a good batter consistency. My apologies for the vagueness here. I know that it was a delicious cake though! *UPDATE* I have edited the flour amount as reccomended by Color Guard Mom. Start with 1 1/2 cups and add as/if needed.
Top Review by Elizabeth C.
My daughter and I made this cake last year and we are doing it again on Epiphany Sunday, because it was simple and delicious, in our opinion. Perfect for an end-of-holiday meal, and we still had time after making it to write the Magii's initials on the lintel of the front door. :))
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (add more as or if needed)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of sifted icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temp
- lemon juice, enough to moisten into a spreading paste
- crushed nuts or candy sprinkles, to decorate
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the sour cream and beat, then extracts.
- Lightly fold in the sifted flour mixed with the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Spoon the batter into the well-buttered round cake tin, 20 cm (8 inches) across and 8 cm (3 inch) deep.
- You can also line it with buttered-paper if you like.
- Make sure you add the token.
- Bake the cake at 170 Celsius/ 325 farenheit for 35 minutes or till tester comes out clean.
- Don't open the door, be patient.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 mins and then turn it out on to a rack to cool properly.
- Ice the top and sides of the cake after mixing all the ingredients for the icing to a spreading paste.
- Decorate with a ring of crushed nuts and an inner circle of chocolate sprinkles. Maybe add a sugar mouse in the center, or garden flowers on the plate, and a ribbon.