Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a friend's mom years ago. Everyone loves this cake. Emma made it for me when I was recuperating from surgery and I practically ate the whole thing by myself. It's great with strawberries and cream or plain with a nice cup of hot coffee!
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream together butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk.
- Stir in Sherry and vanilla and mix well.
- Bake at 325 degrees in a greased and floured 10" tube pan for 1 hour and 30 - 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 20 minutes before removing.