Recipe by SweetT
I got this recipe on Foodnetwork.com and my husband and I love them! It is a quick and yummy meal and a regular in our household. If you want your tuna to be less fishy tasting add more lemon juice. Don't skimp on the olives, kalamata is best!
- 4 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna packed in water, drained
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and minced
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise, plus
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, plus more
- mayonnaise, for spreading
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices rustic white bread or 4 slices other dense white bread
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced or 8 slices tomatoes
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the broiler and position the oven rack about 6 inches from the broiler.
- Combine the tuna, olives, mayonnaise, red onion, capers, black pepper, lemon juice, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Arrange the bread slices on a work surface. Lightly spread each slice of bread with additional mayonnaise and top with 2 tomato slices each. Divide the tuna salad evenly among the 4 bread slices over the tomatoes. Top the tuna salad with slices of provolone.
- Place sandwiches on a sheet tray and place under broiler. Cook until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 5 minutes.