Prep 35 mins
Cook 12 mins
From "The Essence of Emeril: Breakfast Breads" Recipe. Off of Food Network. Posted here for safekeeping. All three methods are posted below. Requires "Basic Danish Dough," Emeril's Basic Danish Dough.
- 1⁄2 cup egg wash
- 1⁄2 cup almond filling
- 1⁄2 cup blanched almond, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup apricot jam (glaze)
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, whipped sweetened
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry jam
- 1⁄4 cup blueberry jam
- **Divide the dough in thirds. A separate recipe for each type of Danish is preferred. Increase the fillings for each type. This recipe makes about 6 of each, depending on size of Danish.
- Bear Claws: Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thick. The longer the dough the more claws yielded. Egg wash the entire piece of dough. Spread a thin layer of almond filling horizontally down the center third of the dough. Fold the bottom third of the dough up to cover the filling. Fold the top third of the dough down, like your folding a business letter. Egg wash the dough. Sprinkle with crushed almonds. Cut 2-ounce portions. Make three slashes into the side of each portion, and spread gently into a horse-shoe shape to separate the toes. Proof until dough in size about 15 to 20 minutes. Bake until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Brush with apricot glaze.
- Danish twists: Roll the dough 1/8-inch thick. The longer the length the more twists yielded. Egg wash the dough lightly, sprinkle the entire surface with cinnamon sugar. Fold the dough in half from top to bottom. Slice 2-ounce strips with a pastry wheel. Twist loosely into desired shapes. Place on a baking sheet. Egg wash each twist. Proof until the dough doubles in size, about 15 to 20 minutes. Bake until golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with apricot glaze.
- Filled Pockets: Roll the dough about 16 by 24 inches by 1/4-inch thick. Egg wash the dough. Cut the dough into 4 squares. Fold two opposite corners to overlap the center of the square. Egg wash the center portion of the pastry. Fill the open corners with the cheese or fruit filling. Proof the dough until dough in size, about 15 to 20 minutes. Bake until golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with apricot glaze.