Prep 8 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Just totally awesome. Juicy, flavorful roast chicken. This is a standard at our house. We hope you like it, too.
- 4 lbs roasting chickens
- 1 large sweet apple, cored and quartered
- 1 large white onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground rosemary, measurement after grinding
- 1⁄2 cup brewed coffee, Starbucks Kenya is awesome
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- salt and pepper
- 3 leaves fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash, dry, and oil your chicken.
- Place on rack in a shallow open roasting pan. Rub the skin with salt and pepper, rubbed sage, and fresh ground rosemary. Place onion, apple, thyme, coffee, garlic, and sage leaves into cavity.
- Cover the top and sides of the bird with clean white cheasecloth which has been moistened with oil. Place the pan in preheated oven. Do not add water [just the coffee] or cover the pan!
- Baste the chicken from time to time with the pan drippings.
- Roast for 30-45 minutes per pound, depending on chicken size, allowing longer per pound for a smaller chicken than for a larger one.
- About 3/4 through the cooking time, turn the bird breast side up and finish cooking. The chicken is done when the thigh meat is soft when pinched.
- Do NOT pierce the skin with a fork as this allows all the wondermous juices to escape.
- Remove chicken to a heated platter and serve.
- If you do not have access to the oil cloth, loosely cover the bird for the first 3/4 of cooking, turn, and remove cover for the remainder of baking time to allow browning.