Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I never met my paternal grandmother, so I feel good that I can make her famous German green bean soup that everyone in the family remembers and loves. The old recipe doesn't give quantities, so I estimated by comparing with a different bean soup.
- 1⁄2-1 lb lean stew meat
- 8 ounces fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maggi seasoning
- 7 -8 cups beef stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Simmer meat in water or stock until tender, 1-2 hours.
- When meat is done, add green beans and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a hot, dry skillet and stir continuously until a nice brown, careful not to burn it.
- When the beans are done, add the browned flour to the soup and add seasonings (can add more Maggie seasoning if desired).
- Stir and serve.