Recipe by Ceezie
Another great recipe from American Profile. This also is best when left to sit overnight.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded American cheese
- vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced lean ham or 1 cup Canadian bacon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups bread cubes
- garlic salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the cheese sauce, melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Add salt, pepper and cheese, stirring until mixture is smooth.
- Oil a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish or coat it with cooking spray. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add ham and green onions and sauté until ham is lightly browned and onions are tender. Add eggs and cook over medium-high heat, stirring to form large soft curds. When eggs are set, stir in mushrooms and cheese sauce.
- Spoon egg mixture into baking dish. Combine melted butter and bread cubes, mixing well; spread evenly over egg mixture. Sprinkle lightly with paprika. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The Next Day : Preheat oven to 350F and remove dish from refrigerator.
- Bake strata, uncovered, about 30 minutes, until thoroughly heated and lightly browned on top.