1 hr 10 mins
This soup is sure to perk up your spirits! Good for an appetizer or a main course! 6 main dish servings or 12 appetizers. Adapted from Chef Paul Prudhomme's cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 tablespoons bacon bits (artificial flavor)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, roasted and chopped
- 2 lbs medium-diced fresh portabella mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup cane syrup or 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups beef stock
- 1Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- 2To roast the onion, if you have a gas range, simply place the onion right on the burner, in a high flame, and roast, turning with tongs, until the outer skin is charred all the way around.
- 3If your range is electric, you can roast in a preheated 500* oven.
- 4Plunge the roasted onion into ice water to stop the cooking, then rub off the black, charred skin under running water.
- 5It should slip right off, but if there are stubborn spots, just remove them with a sharp knife.
- 6Put olive oil in a 5-quart pot over high heat and add 1 pound of the mushrooms, all the bell peppers, the celery, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 7Add the syrup, flour, and seasoning mix and stir until the flour is completely absorbed.
- 8Stir in the stock and scrape the pot bottom thoroughly.
- 9Bring to a boil, add the remaining mushrooms, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook at a brisk simmer for 30 minutes.
- 10Remove from the heat and serve.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elixir of Portabella
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.3
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 869.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 32.8 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: