Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Elegant Chocolate Cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄3 cup equal exchange fairly traded baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water or 1 cup equal exchange fairly traded coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, baking cocoa, soda, salt and sugar directly into a 9-inch round or 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a bowl, blend the oil, water or coffee, and vanilla and pour into the pan. With a fork or a whisk, mix the batter until smooth.
- Add the vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter as the baking soda and vinegar react. Stir just until the vineger is evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and set aside to cool.
Love the fast prep time and simplicity of the recipe; however, I'd like deeper chocolate flavor.