Elbows With Chickpeas and Escarole
- Combine escarole and water in a saucepan. Cook, covered, over low heat until escarole is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Do not drain. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the oil; stir in garlic; saute over low heat until soft and fragrant without browning, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste until blended. Add the chickpeas; stir to coat with oil.
- Mash about 1/4 of the chickpeas with the back of the spatula. Add pepper. Remove from heat.
- Cook the macaroni in plenty of boiling salted water. Drain.
- Briefly reheat the escarole mixture. Combine with the elbows. Serve with plenty of cheese grated on top.