Recipe by BrownSugarChef
My parents always make this on special occasions, but it's also a nice refreshing dessert drink for anytime. If you can't find rosewater at your local Indian/Middle Eastern store you can omit, but it adds a lovely fragrance. I haven't tried this with Splenda yet but I will someday!
Top Review by UmmBinat
This is very different to DD (toddler) and I but Oh so delicious. I used rice dream to be dairy free. I used brown sugar for the sugar and would do so again. I added a bit too much rose water by mistake so be careful adding just a little. It does make a good addition though for sure. It is wonderful with the unsweet chopped pistachio nuts in this sweetend drink. I will make this recipe again insha Allah.
- 4 cups of cold 2% low-fat milk or 4 cups whole milk
- 4 -5 saffron threads
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- pistachio nut (chopped, for garnish)
- rose water (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a few tablespoons of milk in a small bowl and add the saffron threads. Gently stir with a wooden spoon and set aside. The saffron will infuse the milk and turn it into a golden color.
- Pour the remaining milk in a pitcher and stir in sugar until dissolved. Add two drops of rosewater (too much rosewater makes the drink bitter). Lastly, add the saffron-infused milk into the pitcher and stir.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with chopped pistachios before serving.