1/1 Photo of Egyptian Fig Roll Cookies
4 hrs 15 mins
You may know these tender, not too sweet cookies by their name Fig Newtons, but in reality the recipe is of Egyptian design. This version combines the traditional flavours of North Africa with the whole grain cookies of today.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 226.79 g dried figs (I used a combination of Black Mission and Calimyrna)
- 14.79 ml honey (I like Manuka)
- 59.14 ml water
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 0.25 ml cardamom
- 0.25 ml cinnamon
- 56.69 g flour
- 85.04 g spelt flour
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 0.25 ml baking soda
- 0.25 ml salt
- 28.34 g salted butter, room temperature
- 56.69 g non-hydrogenated shortening
- 28.34 g brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml orange extract
- 2Mix the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring up to a gentle simmer.
- 3Cook for 30 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed and figs begin to turn into a "paste".
- 4Transfer to a food processor and purée a thick consistency.
- 5Cool completely, then transfer to a plastic zip-top bag and set aside. (Note: you can make this up to 3 days in advance).
- 7Whisk together the flours, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- 8Cream the butter, shortening, sugar, egg whites and extracts in a bowl.
- 9Add the dry ingredients, beating to combine into a dough.
- 10Wrap well in plastic and chill at least one hour.
- 12Preheat the oven to 325 and line a baking sheet.
- 13Roll the dough into a thin layer (less than 1/4") on a floured surface or between sheets of waxed paper.
- 14Slice strips about 3 1/4" wide, and pipe the filling along the centre of each.
- 15Fold the sides over the filling, lightly pressing down to seal (add a brushing of water if necessary to stick).
- 16Slice into "two bite" sized pieces (about 1") and place on the lined sheet.
- 17Bake, one sheet at a time, for 12 minutes. Keep unbaked cookies in the fridge between bakes (or freeze for later baking).
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egyptian Fig Roll Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.5
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 23.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: