Recipe by DDW
This is a great breakfast or brunch dish and a nice change from the usual breakfast type casseroles. Breakfast burrito lovers will enjoy this recipe.
Top Review by Junebug
This was quick and easy to assemble and uses ingredients I always keep on hand. I sucessfully cut it in half. Check it about 10 minutes early because mine cooked in a little less than the stated time, probably just due to differences in ovens. I loved the taste of this. The tomatoes added alot to this dish. Thank you for sharing your delicious recipe DDW!
- 2 (7 -10 1/2 ounce) cans whole green chilies
- 4 flour tortillas, cut into wide strips
- 4 cups of shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 large tomatoes, seeded and sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion salt
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay 1/2 of the chilies in a well greased 9X9 square baking dish.
- Top with 1/2 of the tortillas and 1/2 the cheese.
- Arrange tomato slices on top.
- Repeat layers using remaining tortillas, chillies and then lastly the cheese.
- Beat eggs and milk with all the spices except paprika.
- Pour egg mixture very slowly over the tortilla layers. It will all fit - just have patience, rushing will only leave you with eggs flowing over the sides!
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees until center is set.
- Touch lightly with finger to test (About 40-45 minutes).
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes. The more "set" it gets the better it will slice and serve for you.
- Top with salsa and sour cream.