Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A very fresh and flavourful side dish, but would make a great main dish for vegetarians by adding diced or grated fresh mozzarella to the filling.
- Heat a pan to medium hot (no oil), while heating slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/2 cm thick slices. Lay the slices in the pan and watch so they don't scorch, but do brown a little and become tender. You may peel or not peel the eggplant depending on your personal preference. Definitely peel the end pieces that get the bulk of the peel though!
- Quarter the romas and add skin side down until the skin is scorched and the tomato is heated through, but not fully cooked, remove and dice.
- Add 2 tbs olive oil, 1 pressed garlic clove and salt (to taste) to the breadcrumbs and allow to soak inches.
- While the eggplant is cooking make the sauce.
- Add the small minced onion to the diced tomatoes to , 1 tbs olive oil, 1 pressed garlic clove, salt and ground red pepper.
- When all the eggplant slices are tender, place approx 1.5 tsp of the breadcrumb mixture onto the thickest end and roll up. Place in a casserole dish and continue until all are rolled. Pour tomato sauce over and broil for 5-7 minutes, watching to make sure not to burn. You can also add some diced mozzarella to the breadcrumb mixture if you want a cheesy kick, but I liked it just as well without it. Serves 4 at 3 rollups per person. Obviously your yield may differ depending on the size of you eggplant.