Recipe is from Sunrise Beach is Still Cooking, Cooking from Texas Hills and Lakes compiled by the Ladies Auxiliary of Sunrise Beach Volunteer Fire Department and credited to Janis Williams. Quick to fix on the stovetop. I'm sure it's meant to be a side dish, but I enjoyed it as a main dish, too. Original recipe called for 1/4 cup oil. If using fresh tomatoes, thinly slice them.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 large eggplants, unpeeled, cut in 1-inch cubes or 6 medium zucchini or 6 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cook onion in oil until soft.
- Add all ingredients except cheese and cook until done, about 20-30 minutes.
- Top hot dish with cheese before serving.