Recipe by Chef kittiekitsch
This Pizza recipe came from Yahoo! Food with some alterations by me. I used a Premade Boboli-style Pizza Crust instead. I also think the pesto would be better spead under the eggplant or maybe even without it at all. I loved the eggplant so much I thought the pesto and cheese overpowered it. See what you think? On the matter of pizza dough and pesto it recommennded store-bought or homemade again - your preference.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
DH made this as a grilled pizza for me. We used homemade pizza dough, Recipe #236785, 236785, which was really good. DH grilled the eggplant, which was fantastic--my favorite part of the pizza. I thought the eggplant went well with the goat cheese and parm. I had the same reaction as you did to the pesto. I tried spreading it under the eggplant, but it was still overpowering and detracted from the taste. I would omit it next time. The grilled eggplant was fantastic, though, so the recipe just needs some tweaking. Perhaps you should re-post it as Eggplant and Goat Cheese Pizza?
- 7 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, as needed
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 ounces mild goat cheese, such as Montrachet, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat 2 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately high heat.
- Season the eggplant with the salt.
- Fry one-third of the eggplant, turning, until golden, about 10 minutes. Remove.
- Repeat in two more batches with the remaining oil, using more if needed, and the eggplant.
- Meanwhile, oil a 14-inch pizza pan or large baking sheet.
- Press the pizza dough onto the pan in an approximately 14-inch round or 9-by-13-inch rectangle.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on the pizza crust.
- Sprinkle the garlic and pepper over the top.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Put the slices of goat cheese on the pizza.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan, and then dot with the pesto.
- Bake until the cheese begins to turn golden, about 15 minutes.