Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This tastes just like the classic eggplant Parmesan layered between noodles, four cheeses and tomato sauce! Serve with a side salad and some garlic bread for a wonderful meal. Originally from a May 2001 food section in the Houston Chronicle
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I love eggplant dishes! I made a few changes, as I had already started prepping my eggplant when I saw your recipe. I used fresh breadcrumbs, whole eggs, and drizzled some olive oil, before baking the eggplant as in your recipe. Then, I followed your recipe! It was delicious and reheated great in the micro. Thanks Leslie, for another great recipe. Roxygirl
- 3 large egg whites, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 lb eggplant, cut crosswise into1/4 inch slices
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 5 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (15 ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) carton 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1 (26 ounce) bottle fat free tomato basil pasta sauce
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl,combine 2 egg whites and egg, stirring with a whisk.
- Dredge eggplant slice in flour,dip in egg mixture,and dredge in breadcrumbs. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant, flour,egg mixture and breadcrumbs.
- Place slices in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Coat tops of slices with cooking spray and bake 20 minutes, turning over after 10 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 3 tablespoons parmesan, oregano, basil, ricotta, cottage cheese and remaining egg white and mix well.
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/4 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of dish.
- Arrange 4 lasagna noodles slightly overlapping over the pasta sauce; top with half of cheese mixture, half of eggplant slices and 3/4 cup pasta sauce.
- Repeat layers, ending with noodles.
- Spread remaining pasta sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Cover and bake 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 35 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Let stand 5 minutes and serve.