1/2 Photos of Eggplant Parmesan
Bay Laurel's Note:
I made this with a little help from my friends. It seems like everyone makes it different so I just put it all together .Now, I will always make it this way. Enjoy !!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 8 (1/2-inch)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and then minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Slice eggplant and salt each side liberally to prevent bitterness.
- 2To prevent soggy eggplant,place in a colander set over a bowl and let drain while making sauce.
- 3For the sauce,cut an X in bottom of each tomato with a sharp paring knife and blanch tomatoes together in a pot of boiling water 1 minute.
- 4Transfer tomatoes with a slotted spoon to a cutting board and, when cool enough to handle, peel off skin, beginning from scored end, with paring knife.
- 5Coarsely chop tomatoes, then purée in a blender for 30 seconds.
- 6Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then add garlic and shallots,sauté, stirring, until golden, about 30 seconds. Add tomato purée,tomato paste, basil, salt, pepper,sugar,and red pepper flakes and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 7Heat 3 tablespoons oil in frying pan for eggplant.
- 8Dip eggplant into beaten egg and then into breadcrumb mixture.
- 9place eggplant into hot oil and brown each side.
- 10Once eggplant is browned, transfer it to a plate with paper towels to absorb the oil.
- 11Preheat oven at 350°.
- 12In a 9X13 baking dish, pour a third of the sauce on the bottom,.
- 13arrange eggplant slices on top of the sauce.
- 14Layer with cheeses,add more sauce,cheese and finish with sauce.
- 15Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes.
- 16Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- 17add more cheese to top if desired.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.0
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 76.6 mg
- Sodium 1018.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 15.4 g