I made this with a little help from my friends. It seems like everyone makes it different so I just put it all together .Now, I will always make it this way. Enjoy !!!
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 8 (1/2-inch)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and then minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Slice eggplant and salt each side liberally to prevent bitterness.
- To prevent soggy eggplant,place in a colander set over a bowl and let drain while making sauce.
- For the sauce,cut an X in bottom of each tomato with a sharp paring knife and blanch tomatoes together in a pot of boiling water 1 minute.
- Transfer tomatoes with a slotted spoon to a cutting board and, when cool enough to handle, peel off skin, beginning from scored end, with paring knife.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes, then purée in a blender for 30 seconds.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then add garlic and shallots,sauté, stirring, until golden, about 30 seconds. Add tomato purée,tomato paste, basil, salt, pepper,sugar,and red pepper flakes and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in frying pan for eggplant.
- Dip eggplant into beaten egg and then into breadcrumb mixture.
- place eggplant into hot oil and brown each side.
- Once eggplant is browned, transfer it to a plate with paper towels to absorb the oil.
- Preheat oven at 350°.
- In a 9X13 baking dish, pour a third of the sauce on the bottom,.
- arrange eggplant slices on top of the sauce.
- Layer with cheeses,add more sauce,cheese and finish with sauce.
- Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- add more cheese to top if desired.
this dish was very good. i did not get enough tomatoes so i used a can of stewed tomatoes to use. my family really enjoyed this meal. it even taste good as left overs
Delicious Bay Laurel! What a wonderful vegetarian dish that's oh so meaty tasting and CHEESY! I appreciate the instructions at the beginning for how to handle eggplant because it's not something I would normally think to buy. When your friends give you the bounty from their gardens, it's time to try something new. Thanks again Bay Laurel for the terrific recipe!