Recipe by CulinaryQueen
Had a couple of eggplant but wasn't sure what to do with them. Here's what I ended up with and it was pretty darn tasty! Eggplant absorbs a lot of oil so make sure your pan and oil are very hot so that they fry up quickly. Cooking time does not include sitting time for the eggplant.
- 3 eggplants
- olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the eggplant and layer in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt. Set aside for 30-60 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant slices under cold running water, then pat dry. This is very important as you don't want them to splatter when they hit the oil.
- Heat 3-4 Tablespoons oil in a frying pan and fry the eggplant slices, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes each side. Drain on paper towels. You may need to add more oil to the pan for each batch that you fry.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350°F.
- When you are done frying all the eggplant, add some more oil to the pan and fry the onions until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange the eggplant slices and onions in layers in a greased oven-proof dish, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with the cheese, parsley and the breadcrumbs, if using.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Let sit 5-10 minutes prior to serving.