1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Joseph Johnson's Note:
This is a delicious dish that the whole family will love, and a fantastic way to introduce children to eggplant. Takes about 90 minutes from start to finish, including prep time, serves about 4-6 people, and is very affordable.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb eggplant (washed, peeled and diced)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or any other lean meat)
- 1 (12 ounce) box jumbo pasta shells
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 26 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1Add one quart water and 1/2 tbsp salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Wash, peel and dice your eggplant(s), about 1/2 inch cubes, and add to saucepan. Boil about 20 minutes until eggplant is mostly translucent.
- 2In a large saucepan, prepare jumbo shells as directed.
- 3Dice 1/2 medium onion and crush 2 cloves garlic. In a ten inch skillet, saute onions and garlic in 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil for five min, then add and brown ground beef (or other lean meat).
- 4Drain eggplant. In a large bowl, mash eggplant thoroughly. Then add the beef and onion mixture and 3 cups of mozzarella cheese. Mix until the cheese melts and you have a nice gooey blob.
- 5Preheat oven to 350. Spray or grease a 13x9 baking dish. Drain jumbo shells and stuff each with about 2 tbsp or so of the eggplant mozzarella mixture. Arrange into 3 rows of 8 shells.
- 6Cover the shells with your favorite spaghetti or pasta sauce, then top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake about 30 minutes or until cheese just begins to brown. Remove and let cool about 5-10 minutes and serve!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant & Mozzarella Stuffed Shells
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1044.9
- Calories from Fat 393
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.4 g
- Cholesterol 162.1 mg
- Sodium 2594.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 23.5 g
- Protein 63.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed Italian herbs