Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
Is it a struggle to get your kids to eat vegetables? My mom used to make these, calling them, "Eggplant Cookies." Although I wouldn't consider them completely healthy, since they're deep fried, and are dusted with powdered sugar, as picky kids that we were about not eating vegetables, we ate and loved these! Depending on the size of your eggplant, it should make anywhere from 8-10 fritters. Mom served them as a side dish. There were never any left-over!
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 medium eggplant, about 1 cup mashed
- 1 dash salt
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Peel, slice, and cook eggplant in salt water until tender; drain well and mash.
- To 1 cup mashed eggplant, add beaten egg, flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend well.
- Drop into deep hot fat, about 370°, and fry until brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Generously dust with powdered sugar and serve hot.