Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is something I came up with to use up some beautiful eggplant that I'd been craving, but also get protein. I don't eat many carbs, so this is my answer to lasagna. It's kind of soupy at first (almost like a stew depending on how much water you get out of the eggplant), but firms up for yummy leftovers.
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 yellow squash, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt the eggplant and leave in a collander for 1 hour. After the hour is up, wipe off extra moisture and layer the eggplant slices on a cookie sheet; brush with olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 15 minutes, until eggplant is soft and slightly browned.
- Brown the ground beef and drain.
- Saute the onion, squash, and mushrooms until softened.
- In a Dutch oven, layer the eggplant, beef, squash, mushrooms, sauce, cottage cheese, and mozzarella cheese in equal layers (depending on the size of your Dutch oven. Finish with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the browning you want is achieved.
- Serve warm. Yum.