Delicious vegetarian stir-fry with a tangy, spicy sauce. Cooking the tofu and eggplant separately may be a little bit more labor-intensive, but the end result is much better this way.
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 15 ounces tofu, cubed (pressed to remove water if desired)
- 1⁄2 inch gingerroot, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄3 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat 1T oil in large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Cook tofu in oil for 3-4 minutes per side, flipping once, until golden and crisp. Remove tofu from pan.
- In heated pan with residual oil, saute eggplant cubes until fully cooked but not soggy. This may take 5-10 minutes depending on how large you cut the eggplant. Remove eggplant from pan.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce. In a 1 or 2 cup measuring cup, stir together soy sauce, lime juce, sugar, flour, sesame oil. Add enough water to make about 2/3 cup liquid. May add more or less water if you like an especially thick or thin sauce.
- Add 1T of oil to the hot pan. Cook ginger in hot oil for about 1 minute, then add jalapeno, green onion, and garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Add cooked tofu and eggplant to pan with ginger mix. Cook and stir for about one more minute.
- Pour sauce mixture into pan, bring to boil and cook, stirring, until thickened. This will only take a minute or two.
- Add chopped cilantro to pan and stir to combine.
- Serve with plenty of hot cooked rice.