Recipe by morelhunter
I love eggplant cooked this way. This makes a very nice alternative to a meat sandwich. It will remind you of a tenderloin sandwich. It has a wonderful flavor. Prep time includes 1 hour to soak eggplant, this, according to my mom, takes out the bitterness.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 eggs or 2 egg substitute, to equal 2 eggs
- 2 cups crushed saltine crackers
- 1⁄4 cup oil or 1⁄4 cup cooking spray
- 4 submarine sandwich buns
- 1 leaf lettuce
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can olives, sliced and drained
- Italian dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the sliced eggplant in salt water, weight down with a plate and soak for at least 1 hour.
- Drain well and pat dry.
- Dip in egg or egg substitute and roll in cracker crumbs.
- Fry in oil til golden or place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking oil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until crispy, turning halfway through.
- Remove, drain on paper towel.
- On bottom of each bun, layer eggplant, lettuce, peppers, cheese, tomatoes, olives.
- Drizzle with italian dressing, replace bun tops.