1/4 Photos of Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmigiana
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Adapted from a recipe by Australian chef Huey (Iain Hewitson) who hosts a popular TV cooking show twice daily. Posted for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. UPDATE: In her review, BarbryT commented that it is not specified where the fresh basil is used. You could add it on top of the dish with the parmesan, although when I've made this I've sprinkled it on top just before serving. If you're undecided, perhaps do half and half, then you'll know which you prefer a second time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 medium eggplants, thickly sliced, skin on is fine
- plain flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups red pasta sauce
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons pesto sauce
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 basil leaves, finely sliced
- 250 g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- 2Dust the eggplant with flour, dip in egg and panfry in a non-stick pan in oil.
- 3Drain well on paper towels.
- 4Heat a little oil in a large non-stick pan and gently sauté onion and garlic. Add pasta sauce, wine, pesto and pepper. Bring to the boil and boil for a few minutes to allow the liquid to reduce a little. Season to taste.
- 5Put some of the sauce in the base of an ovenproof casserole dish, top with a layer of eggplant, and then mozzarella and sauce. Repeat this process, finishing with a thick layer of sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan.
- 6Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes. If the dish has been pre-prepared, you will need to cook it for longer, probably 30-40 minutes.
- 7Serve with a simple green salad.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmigiana
Serving Size: 1 (566 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.0
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 208.0 mg
- Sodium 1056.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 21.4 g
- Protein 24.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: