Adapted from a recipe by Australian chef Huey (Iain Hewitson) who hosts a popular TV cooking show twice daily. Posted for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. UPDATE: In her review, BarbryT commented that it is not specified where the fresh basil is used. You could add it on top of the dish with the parmesan, although when I've made this I've sprinkled it on top just before serving. If you're undecided, perhaps do half and half, then you'll know which you prefer a second time.
- 2 -3 medium eggplants, thickly sliced, skin on is fine
- plain flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups red pasta sauce
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons pesto sauce
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 basil leaves, finely sliced
- 250 g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Dust the eggplant with flour, dip in egg and panfry in a non-stick pan in oil.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Heat a little oil in a large non-stick pan and gently sauté onion and garlic. Add pasta sauce, wine, pesto and pepper. Bring to the boil and boil for a few minutes to allow the liquid to reduce a little. Season to taste.
- Put some of the sauce in the base of an ovenproof casserole dish, top with a layer of eggplant, and then mozzarella and sauce. Repeat this process, finishing with a thick layer of sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan.
- Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes. If the dish has been pre-prepared, you will need to cook it for longer, probably 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with a simple green salad.