Recipe by KittyKitty
This is the first dish I ever had with eggplant in it. It is a great way to try eggplant for the first time, if you have never had it.You can make this vegetarian, by using egg white substitute, no meat spaghetti sauce, and if you are a non dairy vegetarian, dairy free cheese.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups cracker crumbs
- vegetable oil
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel eggplant, and cut into 1/4 inch slices/ Sprinkle both sides of slices with salt, let stand 30 minutes. RInse eggplant, and pat dry.
- Dip eggplant in egg, coat with cracker crumbs.
- Fry a few slices at a time in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Cook spaghetti sauce in in a saucepan over medium heat, until thoroughly heated; stir occasionally.
- Place half of eggplant slices in a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish; spread half of spaghetti sauce over eggplant. Top with half each of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. repeat layers.
- Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Let it stand 10 minutes before serving.