Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
A recipe that is common in the Molise region of Italy. It is tasty and easy to make. Can be made a day ahead. Enjoy!
- 800 g eggplants
- sea salt
- 2 eggs
- olive oil
- 500 g peeled tomatoes
- 1 onion
- fresh basil leaf
- 50 g grated pecorino cheese
- Cut eggplant into slices, lengthwise. Place slices into a strainer and sprinkle with sea salt. Place a weight on the eggplant slices and let drain for 30 minutes or so.
- Prepare sauce. Place chopped onion and oil in a heavy pan and saute. Add chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste. Cook sauce until it thickens.
- Wash and dry eggplants slices.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl, add a pinch of salt. Dip eggplant slices in egg and cover with breadcrumbs. Heat oil in a pan and fry eggplant slices until brown on both sides. drain eggplant slices on paper towel.
- In an oven dish, arrange eggplant slices in layers. Add sauce, basil leaves and grated cheese between each layer.
- Cover the top layer with sauce, basil leaves and grated cheese.
- Place dish in a 220 degrees celsius pre heated oven and cook for 20 minutes.