Recipe by yooper
Tender, walnut-encrusted, nutmeg-infused butter cookies are delicious vessels for a creamy, rum-flavored filling. Pipe or spoon in the filling just before serving.
Top Review by Stephanie Z.
YUM. This recipe is quite similar to my mom's recipe for eggnog thumbprints, my favorite Christmas cookie! The only difference is she uses 2/3 cup butter. That's what I've always used, and they bake perfectly with that quantity of butter.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 slightly beaten egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon imitation rum extract
- 1 -2 teaspoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and nutmeg.
- Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- If necessary, cover and chill in refrigerator about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Place the egg whites and chopped walnuts in separate small bowls.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls in egg whites, then in walnuts to coat.
- Place balls about 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Make an indent with your thumb in the center of each ball.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.
- Rum Filling: In a small beat butter until softened.
- Add confectioner's sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Beat in rum extract.
- Beat in enough milk to make spreading consistency.
- Pipe or spoon about 1/2 teaspoon filling into the center of each cooled cookie.
- Sprinkle with additional nutmeg.