Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tender, walnut-encrusted, nutmeg-infused butter cookies are delicious vessels for a creamy, rum-flavored filling. Pipe or spoon in the filling just before serving.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 slightly beaten egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon imitation rum extract
- 1 -2 teaspoon milk
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and nutmeg.
- Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- If necessary, cover and chill in refrigerator about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Place the egg whites and chopped walnuts in separate small bowls.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls in egg whites, then in walnuts to coat.
- Place balls about 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Make an indent with your thumb in the center of each ball.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.
- Rum Filling: In a small beat butter until softened.
- Add confectioner's sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Beat in rum extract.
- Beat in enough milk to make spreading consistency.
- Pipe or spoon about 1/2 teaspoon filling into the center of each cooled cookie.
- Sprinkle with additional nutmeg.