Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe from a business associate, who is also an avid cookie baker. If you like egg nog, you'll love these little cookies!
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, 1 cup margarine, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp rum extract and egg until light& fluffy.
- Stir in flour& 1 tsp nutmeg; mix well.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap- chill at least 30-45 minutes for easier handling.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces.
- On lightly floured surface, shape each piece of dough into a long rope, 1/2-inch in diameter.
- Cut into 3-inch lengths; place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheets,& cool completely.
- To make frosting: in a small bowl, combine all frosting ingredients (except nutmeg), adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency; blend until smooth.
- Spread frosting on cookies, and mark with tines of a fork to resemble bark.
- Sprinkle each cookie lightly with nutmeg,& allow frosting to set.
- Store cookies in a tightly covered container.
- **NOTE:These cookies freeze well.
Love these cookies! I found icing them was a messy pain, so I put the icing in a plastic bag, cut a corner off and piped the icing on. Much easier! Can't wait for the holidays to make these again!
This is my third year making these!! Yum! I am making a triple batch as I need 13 dozen for a cookie exchange. They taste wonderful.
Eggnog being my husbandâ€™s favorite flavor, we get many things eggnog flavored even the coffee we drink during the holidays needs this distinguished flavor. My second and third son share this love the rest of us just tolerate his addiction, taking it or just leaving it for the more passionate lovers of eggnog. So as a compliment to our coffee I thought â€¦ I wonder if there is an eggnog cookie and sure enoughâ€¦ my husband flipped over these, I do believe he ate the entirety of the batch in two days. I myself being some what â€¦ohâ€¦ I have to roll theseâ€¦. decided with the first cookie sheet I would just drop them, and they turned out fine. I also changed the frosting a bit, used eggnog, and powdered sugar and sadly I did not have any rum extract so I used a little vanilla extract. Then carefully I sprinkled just a touch of nutmeg for extra flavor plus it looks cool. There is no doubt in my husbandâ€™s mind that I will be making them again and next time I will use rum extract.