Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 min
egg pasta by hand can be made into all traditional pasta noodles. from italian by whitman, wright, and boggiano
For 3-4 Servings
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
For 4-6 Servings
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
For 6-8 Servings
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- Place flour on a clean surface make a well like a volcano break eggs into well, add a pinch of salt.
- beat eggs with a fork incorporating flour as you mix, as mixture thickens use your hands.
- get as much flour into the eggs as you can until it forms a mass or clings together in a ball.
- it will still be lumpy but should not be sticky add a little more flour and work in if it is sticky.
- set dough aside and clean your workspace.
- lightly four the surface and knead the dough, push it away and streach it and fold it back over itself and go again continue for 10 minutes.
- for more than 2 eggs divide dough in half.
- pat into a disc and begin rolling with a floured pin.
- roll from the center and rotate a quarter turn to keep it a circle and roll out to 1/8th inch.
- it will need to get paper thin at this point so the following technique is used.
- guide the dough onto the pin and roll it up on the pin and streaching it sideways with your hands.
- roll dough back and forth several times streching the dough sideways each time.
- angle the pin away from you and start again from a flat sheet, keep floured if sticking for no more than 8-10 minutes.
- the dough should be paper thin at this point and almost transparent.
- if making noodles like fettuccine lay a clean dish towel on a table near the edge and unroll the pasta on it letting about a third of the pasta sheet hang off rotate every 10 minutes do not let it overdry about 25-30 depending on your humidity.
- to cut fettuccine like noodles roll dough to lay flat about 4 inches wide and cut tagliolini in 1/8 inch fettuccine is 1/6 and tagliatelle is 1/4 inch. open and dry for 5 minutes before cooking.
- for lasagne do not fold or dry cut rectangles 5"X 3 1/2" pappardelle are large noodles cut with a fluted pastry wheel about 3/4 inch wide.
- these may be dries and kept uncovered in a cool cabinet for several weeks.
- or they may be made into other stuffed pasta.
- to cook place in rapidly boiling water if fresh they may take a little as the time for the water to reboil stuffed will take a few minutes to cook the insides.