Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for ZWT6. Adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor's website.
- 6 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and halved
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, soaked and drained
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 5 -8 fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- salt, to taste
- Heat the oil in a deep pan. Add the cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves and sauté for one minute.
- Add the onions and sauté till soft.
- Add the ginger paste and garlic paste and sauté till fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté for two minutes.
- Add the cilantro and mint leaves and continue to sauté for two minutes longer.
- Add the cayenne and turmeric and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the coconut milk, two-and-a-half cups of water and salt. When the water comes to a boil, add the rice and ghee and mix well.
- Cover and cook over high heat for five minutes. Lower heat and continue to cook for ten minutes, or till the rice is done and all the moisture has been absorbed.
- Transfer the biryani to a platter, garnish with boiled eggs and serve hot.