Courtesy of Effie Pearl Campbell (the great-grandmother of the columnist of the KC Star). Sounds easy....gotta try it!
My Private Note
pie cru ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir together the flour, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- 2Add lard and cut into the flour with a pastry blender until the lard is completely incorporated into the dry mixture and it becomes pebbly.
- 3Add the water and egg mixture and stir until a dough forms, making sure to incorporate all the flour/lard mixture in the bottom of the bowl.
- 4Gather into a large ball, roll into a long log and cut into 4 or 5 pieces, depending upon size of pie plate.
- 5Flatten each piece into a disc about 8 inches in diameter. Wrap each disc tightly in wax paper, then put into freezer bag.
- 6NOTE: crusts can be frozen for several months. To use, remove and let thaw in the fridge. Crusts should be cold when rolled out.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Effie Pearl's Pie Crust
Serving Size: 1 (1098 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1515.7
- Calories from Fat 947
- Total Fat 105.2 g
- Saturated Fat 40.8 g
- Cholesterol 150.2 mg
- Sodium 892.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 120.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 17.7 g