Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is so easy to put together just brown the ground beef and then add in the remaining ingredients, simmer then throw it into a baking dish, top with cheese and bake, you can even make this casserole a day ahead and bake it the next day. It's my own creation, and is it is really good, we like spicy so I always add in a chopped Jalapeno pepper but that is only optional, you can really use any kind of pasta that you like, just make certain to only cook it until firm-tender. If your frypan is too small to mix the pasta and the ground beef mixture together, just transfer to a large bowl to mix. Prep time does not include boiling the pasta.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (you can use ground pork and beef)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (cooked to crispy and chopped)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- seasoning salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup (undiluted)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (I just throw in one full can)
- salt and pepper
- 3 -4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 5 cups penne pasta (I don't really measure, I just throw in about a 1/4 of a bag!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large frypan, brown the beef with onions, garlic, green bell pepper, red pepper flakes and/or jalapeno pepper if using, seaoning salt and pepper; cook until meat is no longer pink (about 6-7 minutes) drain the fat.
- Add in the grated Parmesan cheese, drained mushrooms and chopped cooked bacon; mix to combine.
- Add in both cans tomato soup and tomato sauce; simmer stirring occasionally for 45 minutes (can simmer for a longer time).
- If you find that the mixture is dry add in more tomato sauce.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Meanwhile boil the pasta in boiling water until just firm-tender; drain.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- After simmering the ground beef mixture, add in the cooked pasta; toss to combine well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake for about 20 minutes, just until the cheese melts.