Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Tofu making so easy a cave man can do it!
- Fill your Vita-mix or other blender 1/3 full of softened Laura Soybeans that have soaked in water overnight.
- Add water to fill blender to within 2 inches of top.
- Puree the soybeans as thoroughly as your blender will grind. This is your soy milk.Do not strain this milk, leave the tiny pieces of soybean in the soy milk.
- Pour this unstrained soy milk into a pot and heat up to 180 degrees for 20 minutes.Stir occasionally to prevent scorching --in case you allow heat to get too high. Monitor the temp with any common meat thermometer and try not to go over 180 degrees.
- After milk has cooked remove from heat and gently stir your coagulant of choice into the cooked soy milk and allow it to curd.
- Place a piece of cheesecloth over a strainer and pour the curded soy milk into the strainer allowing the whey to drain away. Press out excess whey and spoon the tofu into a plastic food storage container and refrigerate.
- I like to lightly sprinkle salt over the top of the tofu and cover with a thin layer of water and store.