Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is so easy to make and really good, the recipe may be doubled if desired. If you are in a hurry you may omit browning the chicken first, but I think browning the chicken produces much more flavor, you can even brown the chicken hours in advance or in the morning, refrigerate and then bake later as directed --- don't forget to serve topped with cold sour cream, this is what really makes the chicken!
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- salt (optional)
- 2 cups salsa (or to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or any amount desired)
- 1⁄2-1 cup sour cream
- Coat each chicken breast with about 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning and a pinch of salt (if using).
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat add in breasts and brown on both sides.
- Place the brown chicken into a shallow baking dish (I use an 8x8-inch dish for 4 breasts).
- Pour the salsa over the chicken pieces.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle with the grated cheddar cheese.
- Place back in oven, and bake for another 5-6 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with cold sour cream.
Loved it! Very easy, tastes great. I browned them first, and though I've never made this before I can tell that not browning them would not be as good. Agree with other reviewers, sour cream makes this dish, don't forget it! Thanks for a great recipe (:
This was very good and hubby approved. It is a keeper for sure!!
WOW! This was really good. I couldn't believe something so simple would be so good! As the past reviewers stated, the sour cream made it. I used fat free sour cream, and it was delicious! Thanks Kittencal!