Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Zesty black-eyed peas in an easy crockpot recipe make for a delicious meal to come home to! We always have black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. You can use canned black-eyed peas as well, and shorten cook time by half... but give the dry beans a try! You'll know what went into them and be impressed at how very easy it is to cook them.
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- sea salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno pepper, minced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 2 pints diced tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup ham, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine ingredients in crockpot.
- Cook on high for one hour, then switch to low for 8+ hours; or cook on high for 5-6 hours.
- Serve as-is or on hot rice.