Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Chicken Cordon Blue with a southwest twist. The pepper cheese is great in this dish, and it is super easy to make.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (5 ounce) can whole green chilies, drained
- 4 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, sliced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup tortilla chips, finely crushed
- lime wedge (garnish)
- Flatten chicken breast halves between 2 sheets of plastic wrap.
- Top each chicken breast with 1 whole green chile and 1 slice of cheese.
- Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- Whisk together the egg and water in a shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture; dredge in tortilla chips and place in a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Bake at 375ºF.
- for 35 minutes.
- Let set for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with salsa and garnish with lime wedges.
Am I the only one that does NOT think making Chicken Rolls is easy? Seriously, this recipe is really good! It is also easy up until you have to roll up the chicken but that is a personal issue,obviously! The chicken comes out so moist, the tortillas add a really distinctive flavor and the cheese is just so yummy and creamy. I only made 2 note-worthy changes. I used chips with a hint of lime flavor which was a pretty good idea on my part and instead of mixing the egg with water, I mixed it with tequila which was another pretty good idea on my part. A very nice "show-off" recipe that doesn't take a gazillion years to make! I will make this again! Thanks!
I made the recipe exactly as written. My husband loved it! It was very easy but looked pretty impressive. Thanks a lot.
I didn't make this exact, since I didn't have everything, but for the filling i used shredded montery jack cheese w/jalepeno peppers and banana peppers instead of the chile.....it was VERY good...served w/salso as suggested...will be making this again! (it was hard to roll...first time making a chicken roll ;)