Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I didn't have the right ingredients to make Pizzaiola Sausage Sandwich, so this is my quick and easy take on a pizzaiola sub. Thanks to VickyJ for the recipe inspiration!
- 453.59 g hot and spicy ground pork sausage
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes, undrained (I used the kind with peppers and onions included.)
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- canned jalapeno pepper, slices to taste
- 4 large hoagie rolls
- 8 slice provolone cheese
- olive oil
- garlic pepper seasoning, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Brown sausage in skillet & drain grease. When browned, add in canned tomatoes/ pepper/ onions with juice and seasonings. Simmer until thickened.
- In another small skillet, saute onion rings with a small amount of olive oil. Season to taste with garlic-pepper and salt. Cook until onions become translucent and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, toast buns under broiler. (I spritz mine with a bit of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray before toasting.) Top toasted buns with sausage mixture, then two slices of cheese over sausage, and pop back under the broiler for a few minutes to melt cheese.
- Finish off sandwiches with sauted onions and jalapeno slices. Enjoy!