Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
An easy make-ahead recipe that is quicker to serve than Kraft. Tasty and without all the salt of the boxed dinner.
- 1 (16 ounce) box elbow macaroni, cooked, drained and cooled
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup parmesan cheese or 1 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- Divide and place cooked pasta in four 1-quart ziplock bags.
- To each bag add: 1/8 c flour, ¼ c Parmesan/Romano grated cheese, ¼ tsp dry mustard, ½ c shredded cheddar cheese.
- Store in fridge for up to a week.
- To cook each serving: Melt 1 tbls margarine/butter in a small sauce pan.
- Add one bag of macaroni/cheese mixture.
- Stir well.
- Add S& P to taste.
- Slowly add ½ c+ of milk and stir until heated through and sauce is made.
- (Add more milk if you like).
I personally loved this! I need to alter the ingredients a bit to have my kids love it too somehow. They're unfortunately used to the boxed kind but its time to change that! Maybe less parmesan and more cheddar, and I'll try to find more "acceptable" noodle shapes or something. I love how simple this is, and how healthy.
Ever since trying this recipe several months ago, I have quit buying boxed! My kids prefer this version and I feel better serving them a dish made with "real" ingredients. Just as quick to make, too. Thanks, Aroostook!
Awesome recipe! My son can't have the Kraft version because of ingredient allergies and I loved the convenience of Kraft Easy Mac.....this version takes just only 3 minutes to cook and tastes so much better than Kraft. This recipe is creamy, cheesy and perfect; just like homemade. Upon serving, I sprinkled on some paprika and breadcrumbs. I also used Smart Balance for the margarine and added just a tiny bit less of the milk than the recipe called for. I can't wait to pass this one along to my co-workers who have young kids or watch their grandkids often; this recipe is perfect for them. Thanks for posting and suggesting this recipe.