Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Originally seen in the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 4 (12 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) box firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces manicotti
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Saute onion and garlic in 3 quart saucepan until golden. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach to pan and heat through.
- Puree tofu in a food processor. Add parmesan, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and blend. Pour mixture over spinach. Mix well and heat through.
- OPTIONAL: boil manicotti in 4 quarts of salted water for one minute, and bathe in cold water. (This is the step per the original instructions, but I've never found it necessary to cook manicotti for a casserole -- and they are much easier to stuff when dry).
- Stuff each manicotti with about 1/2 cup of the spinach mixture. Place in casserole dish and cover with marinara. Place foil over dish and bake 45 minutes.