Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you prefer spicy then add in a finely chopped jalapeno pepper. The chili powder can be increased or decreased to suit taste.Also you can add in some navy beans with the kidney beans. This is a very simple but good bean recipe.
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (to taste)
- 1 small green bell pepper, coarsley chopped (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 3 -4 teaspoons chili powder (to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and coarsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Heat a large skillet with oil over medium heat.
- Add in onion, garlic and green bell pepper (if using) saute until the onions are just golden.
- Add in the chili powder, salt and pepper; cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add in the red kidney beans and drained chopped tomatoes; cook, stirring for 20 minutes, seasoning with more chili powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread half of the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with about 1-1/2 cups cheese.
- Top with remaining bean mixture.
- Then top with remaining 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese (or to taste).
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes, or until the cheese is browned.
- Serve hot.
I used 1 can of petite tomotoes and 1 can of Rotel. It gives it a little more kick but not super spicy. Reheats well... tastes better the second day so I make on the weekend for lunches the next week.
This is a SIMPLE HEARTY VEGETARIAN SATISFYING casserole! I followed the recipe but used diced tomatoes and added 1 cup of whole black olives and 1 can of diced mild green chiles. I think cumin would be good in this too. YUMMY with sour cream. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.
Mmmmm...yummy! This quick bean dish packs a lot of Tex Mex flavor. We really loved the layering of the beans and cheese. I used a can of kidney and a can of black beans (all I had) and lowfat Cabot Cheddar cheese. I also added 1 1/2 tsp canned jalepeno for a little heat and it was perfect! Thanks Kitten!