Recipe by pamela t.
Sloppy Joes in a crockpot—just the thing for busy moms and dads or for the BIG game! I love the fact that all the ingredients that you usually would put on top of your sloppy joes is already in the recipe. Cooking time is using the slow cooker (crock pot) .
Top Review by Susie D
I liked the ease of the recipe and thought the idea creative. I thought the inclusion of pickle relish was also an inventive touch. That said, we were disappointed with the recipe. :-(
The result tasted more like a "cheeseburger" than sloppy joes; so much so that we felt the only similarity was the texture of the meat. The dish was very cheesy and pale yellow in color. The recipe doesn't specify sweet or dill relish. I used the dill and unsweetened applesauce which probably contributed to my wanting a little sweetness in the dish. The cooking times were spot on. Served on buns along with slaw and cob corn. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup pickle relish
- 1⁄4 cup mustard
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground chuck; drain off grease.
- Place diced onions and green peppers in bottom of crock pot. Add meat.
- Cube Velveeta cheese and arrange it on top of meat.
- Mix wet ingredients and oregano in small mixing bowl. Pour over meat.
- Cook in crock pot on low 3-4 hours.
- Spoon onto buns or hoagie rolls and serve with onion slices or other toppings of your choice.