Recipe by foodtvfan
Easy to make no-cook layered summer or anytime dessert with only four main ingredients; purchased jelly roll cakes (yellow cake with raspberry jam filling), pudding, whipped topping and fresh strawberries. You could make it with other fruit such as drained canned peaches,pears,or mandarin oranges, and vary the pudding as desired. I have also substituted the jelly rolls with chunks of angel food cake or pound cake spread with some raspberry or strawberry preserves.
Top Review by anme
Very good go to dessert. I had left over cake slices so I smeared that with strawberry preserves to make a fake jelly roll. I also used low fat ingredients for everything else and it turned out great. I made these into two plastic bowls so they could be carted off to work for a nice little treat. My mother already called me from work telling me how good her little surprise dessert was. I plan on making again with diffrent fruit combo. Very nice way to use up extra odds and ends from other dessets
- 2 mini jelly rolls
- 1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (16 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- 1 (16 ounce) container fresh strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut small jelly rolls into 1/2" slices. Or use a full-size jelly roll and freeze any leftover cake for another time.
- Thaw the Cool Whip topping. Divide it into one cup and two cup portions.
- Save a few strawberries for garnish. Slice the rest of the strawberries, lightly sugar them and set aside.
- Arrange jelly roll slices on the sides and bottom of a clear 2-1/2 quart glass bowl or trifle dish or use a 9 x 13 glass dish.
- For presentation, arrange some strawberry slices around the bottom edge of the bowl before adding the jelly roll slices (optional).
- Prepare instant vanilla pudding according to box directions using 1-1/2 cups milk. Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken. Fold in the 1 cup of whipped topping.
- Arrange 1/2 of the strawberries on jelly roll slices; top with pudding, then remaining strawberries and 2 cups of whipped topping.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours; garnish with whole strawberries with stems or strawberry halves.