Prep 0 mins
Cook 8 hrs
There are a number of bean soup mixtures now on the market, with anywhere from 5 to 15 bean varieties. Any will work and all will taste better if the soup is allowed to sit until the second day.
- 473.18 ml mixed dried beans
- 473.18 ml diced ham or 473.18 ml sliced smoked sausage
- 1 garlic clove, if desired
- 793.78 g can tomatoes
- 7.39 ml salt, if desired
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 14.79-29.58 ml lemon juice
- Rinse 1 1/2 to 2 cups bean mixture, cover with fresh water and soak overnight.
- Drain, place beans in large kettle with 2 quarts of water.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook all day, until beans are tender.