Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Beautiful litle bite size dessert that's perfect for get togethers.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- fresh raspberry
- mint sprig
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 9x13" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment or waxed paper.
- Prepare cake: Cream together sugar and shortening.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Add molasses and boiling water to sugar and shortening mixture.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to mixture; mixing well between each addition.
- Beat eggs well & add into mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (20-30 minutes).
- Allow to cool.
- Using 1 3/4" cookie cutter or glass rim, cut into 10 rounds. (If too thick, cut horizontally to 1/2" thickness).
- Bake on cookie sheet at 300°F 30 minutes more to toast.
- Garnish: Whip cream with sugar to soft peaks.
- Add whipped cream to each gingerbread piece, top with fresh raspberries & a mint sprig.