Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
German gingerbread, from www.quick-german-recipes.com.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (see comments above)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 cup mixed candied fruit or 1⁄2 cup mixed candied peel, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- mixed candied fruit or mixed candied peel, diced for decorating
- •Preheat oven to 350°F.
- •Grease a 15 X 10 X 1-inch baking sheet.
- •In large mixer bowl, beat egg and oil. Add brown sugar and beat well.
- •Add honey and molasses. Mix well.
- •Mix together flour, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda. Add to egg mixture and beat till well mixed.
- •Stir in almonds and candied fruit and peel. Dough will be very thick.
- •Spread in baking pan. Use back of spoon to spread, dipping spoon in water so that dough doesn't stick to spoon.
- •Bake for 15 - 23 minutes or until done.
- •with a sharp knife, score into bars immediately upon removing from oven by just cutting through the top crust.
- •With mixer, in small bowl, beat egg white, powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- •Spread icing over warm bars. Decorate with candied fruit. Cool completely.
- •Cut through completely at the score marks to cut into individual bars.