1 hr 10 mins
Az B's Note:
German gingerbread, from www.quick-german-recipes.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (see comments above)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit or 1/2 cup mixed candied peel, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- mixed candied fruit or mixed candied peel, diced for decorating
- 1•Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2•Grease a 15 X 10 X 1-inch baking sheet.
- 3•In large mixer bowl, beat egg and oil. Add brown sugar and beat well.
- 4•Add honey and molasses. Mix well.
- 5•Mix together flour, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda. Add to egg mixture and beat till well mixed.
- 6•Stir in almonds and candied fruit and peel. Dough will be very thick.
- 7•Spread in baking pan. Use back of spoon to spread, dipping spoon in water so that dough doesn't stick to spoon.
- 8•Bake for 15 - 23 minutes or until done.
- 9•with a sharp knife, score into bars immediately upon removing from oven by just cutting through the top crust.
- 10•With mixer, in small bowl, beat egg white, powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- 11•Spread icing over warm bars. Decorate with candied fruit. Cool completely.
- 12•Cut through completely at the score marks to cut into individual bars.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy German Lebkuchen
Serving Size: 1 (30 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.1
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 6.6 mg
- Sodium 33.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed candied fruit