Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This Lasagna recipe is very easy to make & very tasty. My family loves it. My husband is Italian American so I try to cook tasty 'Italian' food for him but food that is also easy enough to make when I get home from work at night. Also this is a recipe that can be prepared ahead of time & then frozen to cook later on during the week. I've had it frozen & then sat it out to thaw almost all day, stuck it in the oven & it tasted just as delicious & fresh. I've been tweaking this a lot from the original recipe I found in an old cook book belonging to my Mom.
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, ground (flavored ( I like the mild)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms
- 16 ounces spaghetti sauce (1 jar of your favorite kind)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried leaf basil, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the 2 or 3 tbsp olive oil (your choice of how much to use) add the Italian sausage, onion, and mushrooms (cook sausage well).
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, garlic powder, salt, oregano, and basil. Cook until sauce is bubbly & heated through.
- In a 2-quart buttered baking dish (I'm lazy & use Pam spray) (about 11x7x2-inches), layer 1/3 of the lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the sauce and 1/3 of the ricotta cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat layers twice. Note: I use more then 1 & 1/2 cups of the ricotta cheese so use best judgment & what looks good to you. 1 & 1/2 is pretty much an estimate of how much to use. My family seems to like it with extra ricotta.
- Bake lasagna at 350° for about 30 minutes, or until thoroughly heated and bubbly & the cheese looks melted & toasty on the top. Let stand for 8 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving.