Prep 7 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I made this for a potluck at work and everyone asked for a copy of the recipe! Delicious with French vanilla ice cream. Can also vary fruit fillings and cake flavors as desired. I use a 5 qt. Rival crock pot. Others who have tried this recipe and used older and deeper crock pots needed to adjust cooking times.
- 2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling (I use no sugar added pie filling as the sugar from the cake mix makes this dessert VERY sweet)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts (optional)
- Place pie filling in slow cooker.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over apples.
- Combine dry cake mix and butter in a separate bowl (will be crumbly) and drop spoonfuls over filling.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 cup chopped walnuts if you desire.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-3/2 hours.
I baked this in 5qt. Rival slow cooker using sugar free canned apples and a pkg. of spice cake. I cooked it for 3 1/2 hours. I didn't look like it was going to cook properly because the top was not springy like a regular cake, but, when I turned it off and took the lid off, the cake part became spongey. This dessert was awesome! I put whipped cream on the dessert, yummy!