Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I made this cake one night when the hub was asking for a sweet clincher and I had next to nothing for a from-scratch dessert. I threw together some things from the pantry and this was the very delicious result! I was looking for something easy to put together that would not take a lot of time, and would be light for a hot summer day. The cake turned out very moist and the frosting was wonderfully light. Toasted coconut on top added some great texture. Enjoy!
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) white cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups cool water
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- frosting, Fluffy White Frosting modified
- coconut, for toasting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9x13x2 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Blend the water, egg whites and cake mix until moistened on medium speed.
- Scrape bowl and beater. Beat on high 3 minutes or until batter is thick and smooth.
- Add coconut and coconut extract and blend until just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center. The toothpick test does not always work on white cake as it has a slightly different texture than other cake mixes.
- In the last 5 minutes of the baking time, start preparing the frosting. Refer to recipe # 55965. Combine 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup water, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar and a pinch of salt in saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Using a wire whip attachment, start beating 2 egg whites while you very slowly add sugar syrup to the mixing bowl, beating constantly until stiff peaks form (about 7 minutes).
- Omit vanilla extract. Beat in 1/4 tsp coconut extract instead and set frosting aside.
- While cake is still warm, but not hot, use a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake. Anything 1/4 inch in width will do.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over the cake and let soak inches.
- While the milk is soaking into the cake, spread 1/2-1 cup of coconut on a sheet pan and toast in a 325 degree F oven, stirring every couple of minutes until golden.
- Frost cake and sprinkle with toasted coconut.